Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)This is an MP3 listener's--and general audiophile's--dream come true. I've stored my entire 100+ CD collection on my jukebox, and I still have room to spare where I can store a whole data CD if I wanted.
The pros are astounding: The size of the storage is enough to justify its price, and the ability of the unit to double as a mobile hard drive is again worth its price. It's very easy to use, and I really like the line out jack as well as the headphone jack (I use it with my computer speakers now instead of my computer's CD-ROM drive to play audio CDs). It's also heavier than most portable MP3 players, but still realatively lightweight--about the size and weight of a small loaded portable cassette player. Mine has proven to be very stable, also, with very few playback problems.
Before I list cons, in fairness, I have to say that it's just so you'll know what you're getting; in my humble opinion, the cons are small annoyances and the pros far outweight them. Note also that an MP3 recordable version of this jukebox is coming out (at a higher price, of course), and according to Archos, a 20GB model (they claim 500 CDs, I estimate more like 400) is due out late in 2001.
The cons are a little irritating: The external remote is not yet available (third quarter, Archos told me). The case is just plain awful--it has a belt loop instead of a clip, so to take it off or put it on, you have to remove your belt, and given that there's no external remote, you have to take the unit out of the case if you want to browse around. There is no volume control on the unit, it's in a submenu. Hint if you already own one: If you hold the ON button down and press the + and - button, it adjusts the volume up and down and saves you some navigation. Also, count on getting a different set of headphones, preferably a set with an inline volume jack. The five-hour battery life is more like four with me, but I fiddle with it a lot while stuff is playing. Don't count on replacing batteries if you're somewhere where you can't recharge the unit; the batteries are almost impossible to access. Last but not least, I don't know if this is true of MP3 players in general (it is of Windows Media Player), but there is a split-second (1/8- to 1/4-second) pause between MP3s. This is annoying of you're listening to a band like Pink Floyd, whose songs tend to cross-fade into each other.
Here's another helpful hint: If you buy this and are a serious user, go to Radio Shack and get part number 273-1863, an adapter for your car, and 273-1711, the adaptaplug H for the connector. It's US$12 total and you can listen to your stuff on trips without wearing out your batteries. If you have a cassette player in your car, pick up a portable CD player-to-cassette conversion kit at your favorite home audio/video store, and you can listen to it on your car's speakers--sweet! If you carry your player back and forth from home to work, get RS part numbers 273-1770 and 273-1711. It's US$14 total, and you won't have to tote the AC adapter around with you or worry about your batteries going dead.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Archos 6 GB Jukebox 6000 MP3 Player/Hard Drive
Compact and portable, the palm-sized, Archos Jukebox 6000 stores and plays up to 6000 minutes of MP3-quality music, 150 audio CDs or 1500 songs. Enjoy over 100 hours of CD-quality music from the Archos Jukebox 6000 MP3 Player/6GB Hard Drive. Merge your entire collection of MP3s and CDs into one compact, portable device, and you'll never have to scramble for your favorite tunes. Featuring massive 6GB storage capacity, the Jukebox 6000 can store an amazingly large collection - the equivalency of over 150 CDs! In addition, the Jukebox 6000 is a fully functioning USB Hard Drive. With its hot swappable, plug-and-play, USB connection, you can conveniently store all your personal files, along with all your favorite music selections.
Click here for more information about Archos 6 GB Jukebox 6000 MP3 Player/Hard Drive
0 comments:
Post a Comment