Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet (Gray) Review

Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet (Gray)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Courtesy of Amazon Vine, I received my Dell Streak 7 Tablet and I have been having a lot of fun with it.
Tablet computers are the latest thing and I wanted to see how this one, a direct competitor to the iPad, would fare. (This is my first experience with any tablet computer; I am unfamiliar with the iPad or any other tablet.)
I was supposed to receive the 'straight' Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet (Gray) (Wi-fi only) but in the event I actually received the Dell Streak 7 4G Android Tablet (T-Mobile), a T-mobile version. As I do not have a T-mobile account, I cannot comment on its functioning but I can say that Wi-fi works perfectly. (The fact that my unit has T-mobile incorporated in no way interferes with Wi-fi usage. Both versions apparently function in exactly the same way.) It was fairly easy to enter my network password (though I do not care for virtual keyboards) and the signal was strong and remained so until I shut the tablet off.
For what it is, it is quite good. Dell includes a set of earbuds and a charger as well as a Quick Start Guide and the usual warranty and legal information.
The image quality is very good, in my opinion, and the sound quality is adequate, especially considering the size of the tablet and the size of the speakers (it sounds like a small table radio). The sound volume, in most cases, is adequate to fill a small room. I have not heard any distortion or breakup with the sound level set to maximum.
There are loads of applications ('apps') available for it, many of them free of charge (there appear to be thousands of free ones). I intend to install ONLY free applications. I found a free internet radio app (from RadioTime) which is the same one on my Roku XDS Streaming Player 1080p; all I had to do was download and install it, enter my user name and password, and everything I had configured on my Roku appeared. Nice.
I downloaded and installed several more apps which I thought would also be useful. The process is fairly easy.
On our computers my wife and I use the Ubuntu Linux operating system; the Android operating system based on Linux but, compared to what we are used to, this Android system is quite clunky.
In the settings I saw that there was a system update being offered, so I downloaded and installed it (the process was easy enough but nowhere nearly as easy to do as with Ubuntu on a notebook or netbook computer). The resultant system is now Android 2.2.2.
After completing the update, I went back into the settings and I noticed that though this is labeled as a T-mobile Dell Streak 7, a person who has AT&T cell phone service probably could also use it (with the appropriate SIM card). Apparently this particular tablet will work with any GSM-type cell connection. This certainly widens the range of potential customers (and possibly 'future-proofs' it in the event that AT&T and T-mobile merge).
This tablet *may* eventually receive an update to Android 'Honeycomb' (v. 3.0); that's if Dell decides to offer it. I certainly hope they do and I also hope that v. 3.0 is quite a bit better than 2.2.2.
I configured this tablet to be able to connect to my web-based e-mail accounts. It wasn't as easy as I should have liked, but I am a persistent person and I figured out how to do it. I wish it had a trackpad and a cursor but it does not.
I'm not keen about the fact that the tablet 'remembers' all of the entered account passwords; fortunately there is a setting to enter a system password which can offer some protection in the unfortunate event that your tablet falls into someone else's hands.
I wish that it had a standard USB port; it does not. To transfer files from a computer, you MUST use the supplied (not a common type) cable with its 30-pin connector. This is the same cable used for charging the Streak (you must plug the cable into the AC adapter; it is not possible to charge this device from a computer). Nor is there any easy means for printing with this tablet (though it may be possible to do so via a Wi-fi-enabled printer; I don't have one of those, however, so I cannot comment).
You can attach a set of external speakers to it by plugging them into the headphone jack; the speakers will have to be powered separately as there is no means to do so from this tablet.
I had thought that it had a user-replaceable battery. My T-mobile version does not (I do not know about the regular W-fi-only model).
But the unit does fully function with the AC power cord attached; it charges the battery at the same time.
I have been using it via AC power most of the time as is my preference. But, just to check, I ran it for three hours on battery power alone, playing an internet radio station. After that time, there was still plenty of power left; I do not know how long it would have played before the battery ran out altogether. However others have commented that its battery life is mediocre. I'll accept their statements but, at least for me, the battery life was adequate.
If you are just listening to music, you can turn off the screen and this will extend the battery running time. That's what I did.
Obviously I cannot comment on battery life while playing video or engaging in other more intensive uses.
Physically, I wish that it had a handle (or even a wrist strap). It's somewhat awkward to carry (I just ordered a Quality Royal Blue Dell Tablet Case with Reinforced Exterior and Soft Suede Interior for the Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet ( 4G , Android , T-Mobile , Gray ) + Live * Laugh * Love Vangoddy Wrist Band!!! in order to carry it about). It's also much heavier than I thought it would be but I found that even several hours of holding it and configuring it while sitting in my reclining chair caused me no undue discomfort. I think that a built-in stand to hold the unit at an angle on a table should have been included (there are several external stands available as options).

It appears to be constructed with a great deal of integrity.
Because tablets are equipped with touch screens, the glass screen gets finger marks fast but it's easy to remove them with a damp soft cloth. As I mentioned above, I am not enamored with touch screens and virtual keyboards. I 'chatted' with my son last night and it took maybe four times as long for me to type my text as it would have with a regular keyboard, as on a notebook or netbook.
But that's the way these tablets are. I'm sure that there are some people who like virtual keyboards but I wish there were some way to physically attach a regular keyboard to this tablet for some uses (unfortunately there is not - but please see the first three comments: you CAN use a Bluetooth keyboard with this tablet). (Please keep in mind that just because I don't particularly care for touch screens and virtual keyboards doesn't necessarily mean that you will feel the same way.) At least this touch screen is VERY quick and responsive as well as being quite sensitive.
I have been seeing many negative reviews for this tablet. It is my opinion (and my opinion only) that some people are expecting much more from this product than it is designed to deliver. It is NOT a replacement for a computer. It is an entertainment device which is splendid for reading books and magazines, for watching videos (including Amazon and Amazon Prime VOD), and for listening to music. It has some communication capabilities thrown in. It will also work in a rudimentary fashion as a means for surfing the web. I think that, if you will accept it for what it is, you will be happy with it. I know that I certainly am.
So are tablets, and specifically this one, a replacement for a netbook? Definitely not.
Is it a nice, fairly useful entertainment device (which can do a few things on the web in a pinch)? Definitely yes.
I think that it's a cute little item and a lot of fun. I'll be taking it with us when we travel - but I won't leave behind our netbooks! Nonetheless, as an entertainment device which is small enough to travel well, it should be a useful adjunct.
Other than the case, the only accessory I can see (thus far) that would be necessary would be a 32 GB SD card. It does come with 16 GB of internal memory so, depending on your desired use, you may or may not need an SD card. (I ordered this AmazonBasics 32GB Class 4 SD Flash Memory Card.)
So far, overall, I like it. It has a few 'warts' (hence the 4-star rating) but I believe (I certainly HOPE) that a new version of Android will go a long way toward alleviating them. As I gain more experience with this tablet (and if my experiences are worth sharing), I'll update this report.
I certainly hope that this review has been of some use to you and I thank you for reading it.
And I thank Amazon Vine and Dell Computers for making this device available to me.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet (Gray)


The Android-based Dell Streak 7 is the ultimate entertainment hub for those craving a rich multimedia and web experience. It features a brilliant 7-inch WVGA multi-touch display made of damage-resistant Gorilla Glass that's ideal for Web browsing, streaming video, watching TV and movies, reading books and magazines, or playing games wherever you roam.

Powered by a screaming fast, dual-core 1 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor, the Streak 7 is loaded full of entertainment and family-friendly apps--from Kindle for Android and Zinio magazines to BrainPOP and Slacker Radio. The Streak 7 also helps you capture and shares favorite moments with the rear-facing 5 megapixel camera for high-definition stills and video recording and a front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for video-calling using the preloaded Qik Video Chat application.

Other features include a 16 GB internal memory that can be expanded via optional microSD memory cards (up to 32 GB in size), Swype virtual keyboard technology, full support for Adobe Flash Player, up to 4 hours of continuous video playback time, and up to 3 days of standby time.

Android 2.2 OS and Dell Stage User Interface
The Streak 7 runs the latest Android operating system--OS 2.2 (aka, Froyo)--which provides a faster overall Android experience as well as greater multitasking capabilities. You'll be able to receive notifications, listen to music, and even record GPS data without keeping the application open. And it features a plethora of new enhancements, including an improved QWERTY keyboard, full push corporate e-mail, and Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.

It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.

The Streak 7 also features Dell's innovative Stage user interface, which provides a seamless and unified experience for accessing all your favorite content. Later this year, Dell will add syncing to Stage so you can keep your photos, contacts, calendars, and other personal content synchronized across your Dell Stage-equipped devices--from tablets to PCs--connected through your home network.

Streak 7 Entertainment and Content
The Dell Streak 7 comes preloaded with unique content and applications to entertain the whole family, including:

Qik Video Chat. With the Streak 7's front-facing camera paired with Video Chat through Qik, you can hold video conversations with those who have a Streak 7--or other compatible mobile device--and even broadcast your view through the rear-facing camera.
BrainPOP: Animated educational content embraced by students and trusted by teachers and parents around the globe. BrainPOP brings learning to your fingertips.
Zinio. The largest online newsstand, enabling customers to shop for, search inside, read, share and save digital content in new ways with more than 75,000 digital magazines from 26 countries.
Kindle for Android. Lets you shop for hundreds of thousands of books in the Kindle Store, including New York Times Best Sellers and new releases from $9.99. Use Amazon's Whispersync technology to automatically synchronize your last page read, bookmarks, annotations, and more across your various devices--including Kindle, Kindle DX, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry and Android phones.
BLOCKBUSTER On Demand Enables you to discover and download the latest movie rentals. Blockbuster's first-ever video download application on a smartphone allows you to buy a movie on one device and watch on another connected device through Blockbuster's library.
Let's Golf (Gameloft). Discover a fun atmosphere making golf accessible to anyone with 63 holes in 4 environments in 3D and 4 characters to customize. 63 holes in 4 distinct locations remodeled in 3D: Fiji Beach, the American Mountains, the English Countryside, and Scottish Lochs.
Slacker Radio. With millions of songs from thousands of artists, Slacker is the best way to discover new artists and hear your favorite music. Listening to Slacker is as easy as selecting one of over 120 DJ-programmed genre stations or searching for your favorite artist or song.

Vital Statistics
The Dell Streak 7 weighs 17.6 ounces and measures 7.9 x 4.7 x 0.5 inches. Its 2780 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 4 hours of continuous video playback, and up to 72 hours (3 days) of standby time.
What's in the Box
Dell Streak 7 tablet, rechargeable battery, charger, wired stereo hands-free headset, quick start guide


Buy NowGet 1% OFF

Click here for more information about Dell Streak 7 Wi-Fi Tablet (Gray)

0 comments:

Post a Comment